Sunday, September 30, 2012

09/29/12

Location: Behind Work
Temp: Morning, low 40's rising to low 60s in afternoon
Wind:  Still
Weather:  Perfect morning, partly cloudy and crisp.  No rain at all.

First day of Archery!

This used to be like Christmas morning for me until I got a dog.  Now I have to sneak out the door and leave him behind.  He cried at 6AM and woke up my wife.  Bad Dog!  Now Christmas morning is the openers of grouse and pheasant season.  We'll compare the opening day of archery now too....hm...okay Christmas morning.

Got in stand right at 6:45, which is 1/2 hour before sunrise.  Right when shooting hours start.  Well, I got skunked.  Nothing but squirrels until 10:30AM.

I went home, cut grass, hunt out, etc.  Got back to the woods around 5:15 and thought I'd get on something.  I got an 8 point on my camera in this exact location and thought he may be strolling by because there are tons of acorns in this area.  In fact I can't believe I didn't get cracked in the head by one, it was basically raining them.

I still saw some cool things.  Had a wood thrush hanging around (I thought maybe he would have been migrating by now?), had a red-tail up above me about an hour before dark, and then had a possum slugging around right below my stand.  Boy was he ugly, his back was all scratched up like something was trying to get him.  Maybe an owl.

Well I called it a night.  At this point I saw a big whopping 0 deer but, who cares, it was such a beautiful day I didn't mind.  As I was leaving in the truck guess what I saw?  Of course, the 8 point hanging with 3 other unidentified deer.  He's on the opposite side of the field from where I was.  I think they bed close to where I set up, but are moving there in a different direction than I had thought.  I'll relocate.

Moon - Flash

Moon - No flash
The 8 point in velvet

No comments:

Post a Comment