Tuesday, October 11, 2011

10/13/11

Location: Outside my office

Temp: 73 degrees

Wind: None

Weather: Cloudy, chance of rain 40% but never happened.



I stepped out of the office, shot the bull for a few minutes, and then headed to find a tree for a new spot I had picked out. Deer have been showing up in the back of the field at work and I thought I knew where they were coming from into the field.



I climbed a pretty big white oak tree with my Summit Viper. I was in my stand and situated at 5:10 PM. Nothing really going on except chipmunks and a fat red squirrel scurrying around.



At 6:20 a deer walked into view about 60 yards away. My cheap $40 binoculars told me that it was something between a 6 or 8 point. Probably 6. Either way, he got no closer than 50 yards. I figured I'll go out Thursday and set up closer to where he was. He wasn't really heading to the corner of the field I have seen the deer arrive at previously.



Nothing doing until dark, so I climbed down and headed out. To get to the truck I had to walk directly towards the area of the field I had been seeing deer so I walked cautiously. Sure enough, I saw one and "he" saw me. I'm not sure exactly what it was, but it was a buck and I think i know who. I got a picture of a legal, small racked deer but has a big body.



He started doing the "I know something is there but I can't get it to move" neck and feet motions. I held steady and put an arrow in my bow. It was close to the end of legal shooting hours. If I could duck down his silhouette would no longer be agains the back of the field but it would be over the horizon. Knowing this I could see how many points he had. If he had "3-Up", I'd shoot. Of course, I duck down and he bolts. Warning Snort and takes off towards the woods. Before jumping in the woods, he stands broadside at 15 yards. I can't shoot because I don't know if he's legal. Oh well!



I know where I'm setting up Thursday. Right in the corner of that field.



Trail cam pic of the deer I think I saw at dusk. Not a biggy, but has unique horns where they meet his head.


1 comment: