Thursday, October 27, 2011

10/25/2011

Location: Ohioville Gamelands


Temp: 60 degrees, falling to 55 by dusk
Wind: none
Weather: Mostly sunny but somewhat wet ground from previous day's storms


This was Rocko and I's first trip out for pheasant. We hit the fields that usually hold birds a few days after the opening day Orange-army goes through the area. And guess what, Rocko flushed a bird in the same field that we flushed a bird from on the same day last year. This time I missed...twice. I shot over the bird as I was kind of leaning backwards when taking a shot due to the terrain.



Rocko went nuts after this and was determined to find another bird. Unfortunately it did not happen. We tried a slow moving stream where beaver dams are all over the place. Hoping to flush a woodcock but to no avail.


Other Highlights: Rocko's new Dogtra 2500 T&B E-collar worked excellent. No issues what-so-ever and he had his best hunting trip of all time in regard to not hunting for himself. He stayed close to me in thick cover, thought about chasing a deer but was kept in check, and I was even able to have him heel next to me as we walked back to the truck next to a State Route with traffic. Also, he retrieved a leaf for me that was floating in the middle of a large pond for absolutely no reason. Pretty funny to watch.



First pheasant field we walked through


Rocko ready to go home!

No comments:

Post a Comment