Saturday, February 8, 2014

Hunting 2013 in Pictures (continued)

Probably the best day afield I returned home with nothing.  We hit the Allegheny National Forest for a day in early November.  The woodcock had already migrated through.  We put up 5 grouse.  I got a shot at one, missed it twice.  What a beautiful, damp day.  Good scenting conditions.
I love how lone pine trees stand out on the landscape.  Usually there are buck rubs on them.

Similar.

Wow, the habitat around this dam is awesome.  Gotta get up here in late October.

We had some issues with thorns in paws.

Shrubby cover everywhere.

More shrubby cover.

Rocko pointed a grouse off the right side of this trail.  I walked over, kicked it up, and it flew out onto this trail away for me.  Offered me two clear shots and I shot over it twice!  Frustrating but fun!

Getting tired.

Tired.

Then we did some more pheasant hunting towards home.  We bagged a good bit of birds this year.  I spend a lot of time learning different ways to cook them.  They dry out to easy.  Thanks to Honest Food for some great tips!

Rocko pointing a pheasant.  He's getting good enough where I was actually able to get my phone out, snap a picture, then walk in and flush the bird.  If someone told me that could happen 2 years ago, I'd have called them a liar!

Rocko in all his glory.  No, he's not wearing a hat.

This was the first bird I ever hung before plucking.  Plucking can be somewhat excruciating, but well worth it when it comes to tablefare.

My daughter and I spent the afternoon preparing the bird with some stuffing, mashed potatoes, and green beans.  She said they were better than chicken nuggets.

In stand for the first day of Rifle season.  Saw three doe.


The only picture I took the first Saturday of rifle season.  I took a doe that day but for some reason didn't get any pictures.

Now it's February.  January stunk.  So cold and when it snows, it puts a layer of ice on top.  I wasn't about to take the dog out in sub 0 temperatures with icy snow.  We've been watching the junco's, titmice, chickadees, red bellied woodpeckers, downy woodpeckers attack our homemade suet recipe.

Now that the season is over I started to get depressed thinking I have to wait until next October, but -- not true.  Mid-march should bring a woodcock flight through where Rocko can train.  Early May brings spring gobbler.

Regards!
-Jeremy


1 comment:

  1. Hi Jeremy

    There's nothing that compares to hunting with a dog and it looks as though you and Rocko are a bird hunting team. Thanks for sharing some of your hunts with us.

    Rick

    ReplyDelete